Thursday, August 7, 2014

Fresh Pasta

Ever since I receive my pasta maker as a gift and went to Italy, I have a hard time eating pasta out of the box.  Most of the Italian dishes I make, takes a while to cook, so in the meantime, I make fresh pasta.  Beware - once you try it, it's hard to go back!

In terms of what recipe I use and what tastes best, I like the recipe with semolina flour the best.  I will post both recipes, and you can give them a try and see what one you like better.



Ingredients;
3/4 c all purpose flour
3/4 c semolina flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp olive oil

In a mixing bowl, add both flours, and salt.
Beat your eggs in a small bowl, add the olive oil and water to the eggs, pour them in while the dough hook is mixing the flours together.
TIP: If you do not have a kitchen aid mixer, I would suggest mixing the dough by hand.  Do not use a regular mixer.
Remove the dough from the mixer and place on a cutting board that is covered in flour.  You want to make sure that the dough is covered in flour when putting it through the machine to ensure that it does not stick.
Cut the dough in thirds of even in half and roll through the pasta machine.  It's better to gradually roll it through the machine.  You may even have to cut the rolled out pieces into half if they get too long so it's easier to manage.
Usually when I make pasta, I roll it through till about setting number 5 or 6, depending if I want my linguini thinner or thicker.
When you run the past through the linguini setting, coat it in flour and then you can arrange it into a circle to let it sit.
After you are done putting all the dough through the machine, you are all set.  Boil the pasta in water with about 1 tsp salt for only a few minutes, depending on the thickness of the pasta and enjoy!

Thyme 2 taste....







If you do not have semolina flour, you can use the following recipe;

1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, room temperature

Once again, if you do not have a kitchen aid mixer, whisk the salt and flour in a bowl.  Make a well in the center.  Crack eggs into the well.  Mix eggs with a fork, then slowly mix in the flour until a shaggy dough forms.  Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead the dough, dusting lightly with flour if sticking until its smooth.

TIP: You can store the dough in the fridge for up to 48 hours.






No comments:

Post a Comment