Saturday, August 16, 2014

Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa

Yes, this is my second taco post.  However, it is a completely different taco, so I feel like that's acceptable.  Not to mention, the fresh fish with this mango salsa is the bomb!!
There are many different variations to fish tacos.  I tried about 3 different kinds of fish before I found one that I like best.  The fish I like using for my tacos is Grouper.  It is a nice thick white fish filet but tastes very light and flaky.  I find that Mahi Mahi is too hearty and heavy, while other fish like snapper just doesn't cut it.

My take on fish tacos... hope you enjoy!


Ingredients;
1 pound grouper filet
Old Bay seasoning

Salsa;
1 mango
1/2 jalapeno pepper
1 clove garlic
1 large tomato
1 lime
1 Tbsp chives
*You can also add cilantro tot he salsa.


Start by seasoning the fish with old bay seasoning.  Be generous with the seasoning.
Set the fish aside.  Chop a mango, half a jalapeno, 1 clove of garlic, 1 large tomato and minced chives.  Add into a bowl.

Squeeze the juice from half a lime into the bowl and mix.  Place the salsa in the fridge to chill
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a saute pan on medium high heat.  Place the fish in the pan.
Depending on how thick your filet of fish is, the cooking time will vary.  I cooked the fish 8 minutes on each side.  You can split the filet to see if the fish is done.  Do not overcook the fish.  Break the fish into pieces and place on a plate.
Place the tortillas on a cookie sheet and heat up in the oven on broil for a few minutes.  You can also zap them in the microwave for 10 seconds.
Place the tortilla shell on the plate and top with some fish.

Add the mango salsa on top... Thyme 2 Taste...

*Makes about 8 tacos.  I had left over salsa, so there is enough salsa for about 12 tacos.

TIP:  Salsas can be very fun.  Sometimes if I do not have some ingredients, I try adding new ingredients.  I forgot to buy cilantro at the store, so I added some chives.  It came out great.  Don't be intimidated to try different variations of ingredients in the salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment