Sunday, December 28, 2014

Caramelized Onion Tart with Apples

We were having friends over for Christmas, so I was frantically trying to find some new appetizers.  I was going for simple, but quick.  Then I started thinking about doing individual tarts.  After looking over tens of recipes, I came to one that was a large thin tart, that you cut into smaller pieces.  Perfect.
Going back to my aversion of recipes, when I was writing out my grocery list, I forgot an ingredient for the tart, so I had to modify the recipe.  But, it turns out it was delicious, so I am going to keep the recipe the way I made it.
Ingredients;
1 tbsp butter
1 medium white onion, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 red apple, such as Gala, sliced into small pieces
salt and pepper to taste
3 oz. Gorgonzola Cheese
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed

Remove the pastry sheet from the freezer, and set aside. 
Slice the onions.  Place a tablespoon of butter in a large pan on medium heat.  Once the butter is hot, add the onions to the pan and saute for about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize.

Add the apples, salt and pepper to the pan.  Let saute for a few minutes.

Set the apples and onions aside.  Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
Once the dough has thawed, place on a sheet of parchment paper.
Crumble the Gorgonzola cheese on top.
Spread the onions and apples on the crust.
Bake at 400 degrees until the pastry is crisp and browned, about 30 to 35 minutes.  Cut into pieces before serving.

Thyme 2 Taste....

TIP: Originally, this recipe called for just white onions, but I thought adding half a red onion would change up the flavor a little.  You can try it either way.

Credit: Real Simple recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment