Thursday, January 22, 2015

Fresh Orecchiette Pasta

If you have been following my blog, you probably noticed that I make all my pasta from scratch.  I would either advise you never start making it from scratch or expect to make it from scratch for the rest of your life
After making homemade pasta, I find it hard to buy the boxed pasta and I despise going to restaurants that do not make fresh pasta... picky, I know.  But that's what happens when you spoil yourself with homemade food!
In this recipe, I wanted to try a different variation of pasta.  Orecchiette seemed very easy, so I thought I would give it a try.  They didn't come out looking as pretty as all the you tube videos of the little Italian ladies making them by hand, but hey, they tasted delicious ;)

Ingredients;
1 cup semolina flour
1/2 c all purpose flour
1/2 rsp salt
1/2 cup water

Add the flours, and salt in the mixing bowl, mix on low for a minute until the ingredients are combined.  Add 1/4 cup of the water.  Once the water has been incorporated, gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup water.


Finish kneading the dough on a surface/cutting board.  Wrap up and refrigerate for an hour.  Can be refrigerated overnight, if needed.
After an hour, place the dough on a floured surface.
Cut into 8 pieces.  Roll out into even tubes and cut 1/4" pieces.

 Dip your finger into flour and press down on the individual pieces to form the dough.
Transfer to a floured surface.
Boil 3-4 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente.

Thyme to Taste....

Stay tuned for my Orecchiette Carbonara with Asparagus & Mushrooms recipe....



No comments:

Post a Comment